By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
IndebtaIndebta
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Notification Show More
Aa
IndebtaIndebta
Aa
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Dept Management
  • Mortgage
  • Markets
  • Investing
  • Small Business
  • Videos
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Follow US
Indebta > News > Israeli citizen killed by rocket fire as tensions with Lebanon intensify
News

Israeli citizen killed by rocket fire as tensions with Lebanon intensify

News Room
Last updated: 2024/07/30 at 11:52 AM
By News Room
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

Roula Khalaf, Editor of the FT, selects her favourite stories in this weekly newsletter.

An Israeli civilian was killed in a rocket attack in the north of the country, further heightening tensions between Israel and Lebanese militant group Hizbollah following the deadly weekend strike in the occupied Golan Heights.

The Israeli military on Tuesday said about 10 rockets had “crossed from Lebanon into Israeli territory”, and while most were intercepted, one had struck a kibbutz, causing the casualty. Another person was wounded in a subsequent drone attack from Lebanon, local Israeli authorities said.

Hizbollah said it had launched two salvos of Katyusha rockets at the nearby Beit Hillel barracks, “in response to” an Israeli strike on the town of Jibchit. The militant group earlier said it had fired at Israeli fighter jets that broke the sound barrier in Lebanese air space, forcing the plane to turn around. The Israeli military did not respond to a request for comment.

Israeli leaders had already vowed a “severe response” against Hizbollah, which they blame for the attack that killed 12 children playing on a football pitch in the Druze town of Majdal Shams on Saturday.

The incident, the deadliest for civilians in Israeli-controlled territory in the exchanges of fire between Israel and Hizbollah since they began nine months ago, has raised fears of a full-scale conflict breaking out between the two sides.

Hizbollah, which denied responsibility for the attack, and Israeli forces have traded near-daily fire since the Lebanese militant group began firing rockets at Israel in “solidarity” with Hamas following the October 7 attack.

While the hostilities between Israel and Hizbollah have caused casualties and displaced tens of thousands of people on both sides of the Israeli-Lebanese border, they have so far not morphed into a full-blown conflict, amid intense US-led diplomatic efforts to de-escalate the situation.

Speaking in Manila on Tuesday, before the latest incident, US secretary of defence Lloyd Austin said Washington remained concerned about “the potential of this escalating into a full-blown fight. And I don’t believe that a fight is inevitable.”

He added: “I think we’d like to see things resolved in a diplomatic fashion.”

UK foreign secretary David Lammy said in a statement to parliament: “A widening of this conflict is in nobody’s interest. Indeed, the consequences could be catastrophic. That is why we continue to press for a diplomatic solution.”

However, the US and Germany have urged their citizens to leave Lebanon, a call echoed by Lammy on Tuesday. “My message to British nationals in Lebanon is clear — leave,” he said in a video message.

Cross-border exchanges between Israel and Hizbollah had continued in the days since the Majdal Shams strike, but at a relatively low intensity — until Tuesday’s deadly barrages.

Diplomats had previously said they expected Israel’s response against Hizbollah to be more forceful than any of the strikes it had conducted in Lebanon since the start of hostilities, but that it would try to avoid an all-out war.

“I think they’ll try and calibrate their response so as to not tip the region into war,” said a diplomat. “But it’s a difficult balance to strike.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on a visit to Majdal Shams on Monday that the country “will not, and cannot, ignore this”. He also said: “Our response will come, and it will be severe.”

Read the full article here

News Room July 30, 2024 July 30, 2024
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Finance Weekly Newsletter

Join now for the latest news, tips, and analysis about personal finance, credit cards, dept management, and many more from our experts.
Join Now
Why Stocks Are Sinking (Despite Record Earnings Growth)

Watch full video on YouTube

How The Economic Fallout From The Iran War Could Get Worse

Watch full video on YouTube

Osotspa Public Company Limited 2026 Q1 – Results – Earnings Call Presentation (OTCMKTS:OSOPF) 2026-05-19

This article was written byFollowSeeking Alpha's transcripts team is responsible for the…

LIVE: Fed Chair Jerome Powell delivers remarks at Harvard University

Watch full video on YouTube

Why Wall Street Is Investing In Trading Cards

Watch full video on YouTube

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

News

Osotspa Public Company Limited 2026 Q1 – Results – Earnings Call Presentation (OTCMKTS:OSOPF) 2026-05-19

By News Room
News

Fidelity International Small Cap Fund Q1 2026 Commentary (FISMX)

By News Room
News

Equinor ASA (EQNR) Shareholder/Analyst Call Prepared Remarks Transcript

By News Room
News

Credit Saison Co., Ltd. 2026 Q4 – Results – Earnings Call Presentation (OTCMKTS:CSASF) 2026-05-16

By News Room
News

ABN AMRO Stock: Cost Cuts And Capital Returns Support A Buy Rating (OTCMKTS:AAVMY)

By News Room
News

ConocoPhillips: More Upside Given Long-Term Cash Flow Tailwinds (NYSE:COP)

By News Room
News

MaxCyte, Inc. (MXCT) Q1 2026 Earnings Call Transcript

By News Room
News

Draganfly Inc. (DPRO) Q1 2026 Earnings Call Transcript

By News Room
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Instagram
Company
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Press Release
  • Contact
  • Advertisement
More Info
  • Newsletter
  • Market Data
  • Credit Cards
  • Videos

Sign Up For Free

Subscribe to our newsletter and don't miss out on our programs, webinars and trainings.

I have read and agree to the terms & conditions
Join Community

2023 © Indepta.com. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?