By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
IndebtaIndebta
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Notification Show More
Aa
IndebtaIndebta
Aa
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Dept Management
  • Mortgage
  • Markets
  • Investing
  • Small Business
  • Videos
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Follow US
Indebta > News > Bob Iger pledges to cut another $2bn from Disney’s cost base
News

Bob Iger pledges to cut another $2bn from Disney’s cost base

News Room
Last updated: 2023/11/08 at 6:17 PM
By News Room
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

Roula Khalaf, Editor of the FT, selects her favourite stories in this weekly newsletter.

Walt Disney reported stronger-than-expected earnings for its most recent quarter and forecast that it would cut another $2bn from its cost base while generating higher levels of cash in the coming year. 

The entertainment group’s earnings of 82 cents a share in the fourth quarter exceeded Wall Street forecasts of 70 cents, thanks in part to a 31 per cent increase in operating income at its theme parks and experiences business. It raised its target for annualised cost cuts from $5.5bn to $7.5bn. 

The results come almost a year after Bob Iger returned to Disney as chief executive to replace his handpicked successor, Bob Chapek. Iger said the results reflected the “significant progress” over the past year at the company. 

“While we still have work to do, these efforts have allowed us to move beyond the period of fixing and begin building our businesses again,” he said.

Disney’s streaming business lost $387mn in the quarter, down sharply from the $1.47bn loss a year ago that shocked the markets and contributed to Chapek’s dismissal. The company held to its target of reaching profitability in streaming by the fiscal fourth quarter of 2024. 

The Disney+ streaming service added nearly 7mn subscribers, helped by the addition of Elemental, Little Mermaid and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which were released in cinemas earlier in the year. 

However, subscriptions fell 7 per cent at Disney+ Hotstar, the group’s streaming service in India, where Iger is examining whether to sell stakes in its Disney Star businesses or potentially shed its entire holding.

Disney said its free cash flow totalled $3.4bn in the quarter, up about 150 per cent from a year earlier. Investors have been focused on Disney’s cash position as it prepares to acquire Comcast’s 33 per cent stake in Hulu. Disney has offered $8.6bn for the stake, but the final sum will depend on an appraisal process which is expected to conclude next year. 

Disney said on Wednesday that it planned to increase its free cash flow “significantly” in the 2024 fiscal year, to levels approaching those seen before the outbreak of the pandemic in 2020.

Disney’s shares have fallen more than 15 per cent over the past year, prompting a renewed challenge from activist investor Nelson Peltz of Trian Partners. The shares were up more than 3 per cent in after-hours trade.

Video: Disney: Return of Iger, ‘King of Hollywood’ | FT Film

Read the full article here

News Room November 8, 2023 November 8, 2023
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Finance Weekly Newsletter

Join now for the latest news, tips, and analysis about personal finance, credit cards, dept management, and many more from our experts.
Join Now
The Supreme Court’s tariff blow to Trump

Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for freeYour guide to what Trump’s…

Trump says stock market will double, Goldman Sachs says gold could hit $5,400: Only one is likely

Watch full video on YouTube

What Trump Accounts Could Mean For Your Family

Watch full video on YouTube

Paramount’s $108bn bid for Warner Bros clears US antitrust hurdle

Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for freeYour guide to what Trump’s…

Tesla CEO Elon Musk speaks at The World Economic Forum

Watch full video on YouTube

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

News

The Supreme Court’s tariff blow to Trump

By News Room
News

Paramount’s $108bn bid for Warner Bros clears US antitrust hurdle

By News Room
News

Who’s afraid of the big bad trade deficit?

By News Room
News

PEJ: Modest Upside With Meaningful Constraints (NYSEARCA:PEJ)

By News Room
News

Maga will regret embracing Europe’s hard right

By News Room
News

Russia-Ukraine talks yield ‘some progress’ on ceasefire, says Zelenskyy

By News Room
News

Berkshire Hathaway energy unit sells power assets in rare disposal

By News Room
News

TDVG: Not A Bad Broad Market Option (NYSEARCA:TDVG)

By News Room
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Instagram
Company
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Press Release
  • Contact
  • Advertisement
More Info
  • Newsletter
  • Market Data
  • Credit Cards
  • Videos

Sign Up For Free

Subscribe to our newsletter and don't miss out on our programs, webinars and trainings.

I have read and agree to the terms & conditions
Join Community

2023 © Indepta.com. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?