By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
IndebtaIndebta
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Notification Show More
Aa
IndebtaIndebta
Aa
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Dept Management
  • Mortgage
  • Markets
  • Investing
  • Small Business
  • Videos
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Follow US
Indebta > News > Paramount’s $108bn bid for Warner Bros clears US antitrust hurdle
News

Paramount’s $108bn bid for Warner Bros clears US antitrust hurdle

News Room
Last updated: 2026/02/20 at 9:58 AM
By News Room
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free

Your guide to what Trump’s second term means for Washington, business and the world

Paramount Skydance’s $108bn bid to gatecrash Netflix’s deal for Warner Bros Discovery has cleared a key US antitrust hurdle, in a signal of support from the Trump administration.

The media group, whose bid is bankrolled by Oracle billionaire and Trump donor Larry Ellison, said on Friday that its deal had complied with the US Department of Justice’s second request review process, removing a critical impediment to US regulatory approval.

By allowing the 10-day statutory waiting period to elapse under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act’s second request process, the justice department is in effect waving through the Paramount deal on antitrust grounds.

“The expiration of the HSR waiting period means there is no statutory impediment in the US to closing Paramount’s proposed acquisition of WBD,” said Paramount in a regulatory filing.

The swift antitrust clearance will probably be seen in the industry as a clear signal of support from the White House. Paramount’s bid is backed by Larry Ellison, a prominent Trump donor, and the decision comes as allies of the president expand their sway across the US media landscape.

The contrast with the scrutiny facing Netflix’s bid may also reinforce perceptions that the administration is putting its thumb on the scale.

However, Paramount still needs to convince WBD’s board and shareholders of the merits of its deal.

The antitrust clearance will be a boon for Paramount as it reopens talks with WBD in an attempt to trump Netflix’s deal. WBD this week gave Paramount a seven-day period ending on February 23 to “make its best and final offer” or walk away.

Netflix, meanwhile, is facing an early-stage review by the justice department to assess whether its $83bn deal to buy WBD would stifle competition. The DoJ is yet to sue to block Netflix’s deal, the most drastic step.

Paramount and Netflix’s deals are expected to face more intense competition scrutiny in foreign jurisdictions, such as the UK and EU. Paramount said in its filing that it continued to “engage constructively with antitrust enforcers and other regulators around the world”.

Both companies have been jostling to win the favour of US President Donald Trump. Paramount’s chief executive David Ellison met Trump earlier this month, according to people familiar with the matter. Netflix’s co-chief executive said on a podcast appearance this week that Trump was personally concerned about the impact of the Netflix deal on jobs in California.

Paramount’s proposed deal has drawn scrutiny from Democratic lawmakers. Senators including Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Chuck Schumer and Dick Durbin on Thursday sent Ellison a letter requesting Paramount preserve all records linked to the deal, after the company’s chief declined to testify before Congress while Netflix and Warner executives were in attendance.

We “can assure you that [the deal] raises significant competition concerns that the Senate has not had an opportunity to examine”, the senators wrote. “The pattern of evasion, combined with Paramount’s apparent confidence that a politically sensitive transaction will clear without difficulty, warrants serious scrutiny.”

The DoJ, Netflix and WBD did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The move by the DoJ is reminiscent of the Federal Trade Commission’s decision to approve Pfizer’s deal to buy weight-loss drug developer Metsera in the midst of a public bidding war with Novo Nordisk for the biotech. Pfizer ultimately prevailed with a higher bid.

Read the full article here

News Room February 20, 2026 February 20, 2026
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Finance Weekly Newsletter

Join now for the latest news, tips, and analysis about personal finance, credit cards, dept management, and many more from our experts.
Join Now
Tesla CEO Elon Musk speaks at The World Economic Forum

Watch full video on YouTube

What the Return of 2016 Says About Consumers Right Now

Watch full video on YouTube

Who’s afraid of the big bad trade deficit?

The American and British governments take strikingly different attitudes to their trade…

CEOs of health insurance companies appear before the House committees

Watch full video on YouTube

America’s Oldest Bank Bets Big On AI

Watch full video on YouTube

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

News

Who’s afraid of the big bad trade deficit?

By News Room
News

PEJ: Modest Upside With Meaningful Constraints (NYSEARCA:PEJ)

By News Room
News

Maga will regret embracing Europe’s hard right

By News Room
News

Russia-Ukraine talks yield ‘some progress’ on ceasefire, says Zelenskyy

By News Room
News

Berkshire Hathaway energy unit sells power assets in rare disposal

By News Room
News

TDVG: Not A Bad Broad Market Option (NYSEARCA:TDVG)

By News Room
News

MIT Sloan tops FT Global MBA Ranking for the first time

By News Room
News

Six Wall Street bank chiefs bring in combined pay of $250mn in 2025

By News Room
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Instagram
Company
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Press Release
  • Contact
  • Advertisement
More Info
  • Newsletter
  • Market Data
  • Credit Cards
  • Videos

Sign Up For Free

Subscribe to our newsletter and don't miss out on our programs, webinars and trainings.

I have read and agree to the terms & conditions
Join Community

2023 © Indepta.com. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?