By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
IndebtaIndebta
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Notification Show More
Aa
IndebtaIndebta
Aa
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Dept Management
  • Mortgage
  • Markets
  • Investing
  • Small Business
  • Videos
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Follow US
Indebta > News > Sudan crisis has potential to be ‘worse than Ukraine’ for civilians, says UN official
News

Sudan crisis has potential to be ‘worse than Ukraine’ for civilians, says UN official

News Room
Last updated: 2023/04/30 at 6:22 PM
By News Room
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

The fighting in Sudan, which has re-erupted after a 72-hour humanitarian ceasefire collapsed at the weekend, has the potential to be “worse than Ukraine” for civilians, according to Amina Mohammed, deputy secretary-general of the UN.

Mohammed said Sudan’s army and its rival paramilitary group were waging an indiscriminate battle for Khartoum, the capital city of 6mn people. The air force’s bombardment of paramilitary fighters who had dug into positions in people’s homes threatened to cause mass casualties, she said.

Civilians in Khartoum are hiding in houses without air shelters while the air force is bombing parts of the city. There are widespread reports of soldiers belonging to the Rapid Support Forces, a paramilitary unit, commandeering homes, in effect turning the city’s inhabitants into human shields.

Referring to the two generals at the centre of the conflict, Mohammed told the Financial Times: “They’ve gone Awol and there’s no return to a status quo.”

She added: “We have to pull whatever strings we can to stop them fighting.”

The clashes started two weeks ago between the Sudanese armed forces led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the de facto president, and Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, better known as Hemeti, who commands the RSF.

The latest official death toll is 459, but witnesses in Khartoum report seeing bodies piled in the streets and on the back of trucks. The UN fears the actual number of people killed could be much higher.

Intense diplomatic efforts at both regional and international levels have so far failed to persuade either the Sudanese armed forces or the RSF to talk, diplomats said.

Mo Ibrahim, a Sudanese businessman, speaking at a forum his foundation was holding in Nairobi, said: “There’s a major crime today on the streets of Khartoum.”

“These people are intoxicated by power, money and each of them thinks they can become the new Bashir,” he said, referring to Omar al-Bashir, the Sudanese dictator who was ousted in 2019.

Mo Ibrahim, left, and former Sudanese prime minister Abdalla Hamdok at the Mo Ibrahim Foundation forum on Saturday © Daniel Irungu/EPA/Shutterstock

Malaz Elgemiabby, a Sudanese architect living in Dubai, said her family members in Khartoum were recounting horror stories of RSF fighters forcing their way into people’s homes, raping and looting. “They’re forcing slave women as young as 16 to cook for them,” she said. The RSF has denied harassing civilians.

“Right now we have a crazy, power-hungry guy who is looting our country,” Elgemiabby said, referring to Hemeti whose fighters she described as out of control.

Abdalla Hamdok, Sudan’s former prime minister, said the war threatened to drag in neighbouring countries. “God forbid if Sudan is to reach a point of civil war proper,” he said. “Whatever the reasons that have brought us here, the number one priority today is this war has got to stop today . . . because it has so many complications if it is not stopped.”

Mohammed el-Hassan Labat, who has acted as the African Union’s special envoy to Sudan, said if the generals did not negotiate, they should be tried for “war crimes”. He said it was vital for the international community “to put our collective and common pressure on the two generals to make them stop and to threaten them very clearly that if they don’t resolve this they will expose themselves to criminal trials”.

Over recent weeks, several countries including the UK, US and Saudi Arabia have evacuated thousands of citizens, both from an air base on the outskirts of Khartoum and from Port Sudan.

The UK said it alone had evacuated nearly 1,900 people, but that it was stopping rescue flights because it was becoming too dangerous. Tens of thousands of Sudanese refugees have escaped by land to Egypt, Chad and other neighbouring countries.

Read the full article here

News Room April 30, 2023 April 30, 2023
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Finance Weekly Newsletter

Join now for the latest news, tips, and analysis about personal finance, credit cards, dept management, and many more from our experts.
Join Now
Stocks extend rally after Trump’s Davos speech, 3 things that could impact US economic growth

Watch full video on YouTube

Rivian Is Betting Big On This $45K SUV

Watch full video on YouTube

The Supreme Court’s tariff blow to Trump

Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for freeYour guide to what Trump’s…

Trump says stock market will double, Goldman Sachs says gold could hit $5,400: Only one is likely

Watch full video on YouTube

What Trump Accounts Could Mean For Your Family

Watch full video on YouTube

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

News

The Supreme Court’s tariff blow to Trump

By News Room
News

Paramount’s $108bn bid for Warner Bros clears US antitrust hurdle

By News Room
News

Who’s afraid of the big bad trade deficit?

By News Room
News

PEJ: Modest Upside With Meaningful Constraints (NYSEARCA:PEJ)

By News Room
News

Maga will regret embracing Europe’s hard right

By News Room
News

Russia-Ukraine talks yield ‘some progress’ on ceasefire, says Zelenskyy

By News Room
News

Berkshire Hathaway energy unit sells power assets in rare disposal

By News Room
News

TDVG: Not A Bad Broad Market Option (NYSEARCA:TDVG)

By News Room
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Instagram
Company
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Press Release
  • Contact
  • Advertisement
More Info
  • Newsletter
  • Market Data
  • Credit Cards
  • Videos

Sign Up For Free

Subscribe to our newsletter and don't miss out on our programs, webinars and trainings.

I have read and agree to the terms & conditions
Join Community

2023 © Indepta.com. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?