By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
IndebtaIndebta
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Notification Show More
Aa
IndebtaIndebta
Aa
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Dept Management
  • Mortgage
  • Markets
  • Investing
  • Small Business
  • Videos
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Follow US
Indebta > News > Israel adds securing northern front against Hizbollah to its war aims
News

Israel adds securing northern front against Hizbollah to its war aims

News Room
Last updated: 2024/09/17 at 5:38 AM
By News Room
Share
6 Min Read
SHARE

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

Roula Khalaf, Editor of the FT, selects her favourite stories in this weekly newsletter.

Israel has expanded the objectives of its almost year-long campaign in Gaza to include securing the northern front against Hizbollah, increasing fears of an escalation of its conflict with the Lebanese militant group.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s security cabinet voted early on Tuesday to add “returning the residents of the north securely to their homes” to the goals of the war, Netanyahu’s office said. “Israel will continue to act to implement this objective.”

The decision is seen by analysts as a statement of intent, marking a shift in priorities for the Israel Defense Forces amid the continuing war against Hamas militants in Gaza.

It comes as cross-border fire between Israel and Hizbollah has intensified in recent weeks and amid growing public anger over the Netanyahu government’s inability to solve the crisis on a front that had been seen as secondary to the Gaza campaign.

Hizbollah began firing into northern Israel a day after Hamas’s October 7 attack from Gaza, triggering a low-level war of attrition between Israeli forces and the Iran-backed group. More than 60,000 northern Israeli and about 100,000 southern Lebanese residents have been displaced from their homes for months.

During the weekly cabinet meeting on Sunday, Netanyahu issued his most strongly worded comments so far on Hizbollah, saying he was attentive to the “anguish” of Israel’s northern residents and vowing that “the current situation will not continue”.

US President Joe Biden has for months been trying to broker a diplomatic solution to the Israel-Hizbollah crisis, with special envoy Amos Hochstein again travelling to Israel this week.

Those efforts have faltered amid Hizbollah’s stated intention to continue firing at Israel as long as the Gaza war continues. Simultaneous diplomatic attempts to broker a deal that would halt the fighting in Gaza and return the Israeli hostages seized on October 7 have also stalled.

After meeting Hochstein in Jerusalem on Monday, Netanyahu said what was required was a “fundamental change in the security situation in the north” in order to safely return the displaced Israeli residents.

In his own meeting with Hochstein on Monday, Israeli defence minister Yoav Gallant appeared to go a step further, telling the US envoy that “the possibility for an agreement [with Hizbollah] is running out”.

“Therefore, the only way left to ensure the return of Israel’s northern communities to their homes will be via military action,” Gallant added.

US officials have since late last year worked to contain the hostilities between Israel and Hizbollah in the face of concerns that the Gaza conflict could escalate into a full-blown regional war, possibly including Iran. Hizbollah is considered to be the world’s most heavily armed non-state actor, with more than 150,000 missiles and rockets in its arsenal, according to Israeli intelligence estimates.

Multiple Israeli media reports said Netanyahu on Tuesday was seeking to sack Gallant and replace him with Gideon Sa’ar, a rightwing opposition politician and former senior minister who had fallen out with the prime minister several years ago.

Gallant and Netanyahu are barely on speaking terms, according to people with knowledge of their relationship, and differ strongly about the need for Israel to accept a ceasefire-for-hostage deal in Gaza.

Gallant, alongside most other security chiefs, has urged Netanyahu to agree a deal, return the 101 remaining Israeli hostages still in captivity, and wind down the campaign in the besieged enclave — not least in order to test the diplomatic route to resolve the conflict with Hizbollah.

But Netanyahu has refused to end the Gaza war and continues to insist on “total victory” over Hamas.

Netanyahu’s office on Tuesday said reports surrounding the negotiations with Sa’ar were “not true”, but did not deny that talks were taking place in a bid to replace Gallant.

Sa’ar, now the head of the New Hope faction, had been part of Netanyahu’s emergency wartime government for the first six months of the conflict. He resigned in protest in March amid recriminations that the military strategy in Gaza was not aggressive enough and that he had not been included in the inner war cabinet dictating policy.

A former justice and interior minister from Netanyahu’s rightwing Likud party, Sa’ar split from the party in 2020 over personal differences with Netanyahu.

Sa’ar said an attempt to sack Gallant early last year was “an act of madness, indicating a complete lack of judgment” by the prime minister.

Read the full article here

News Room September 17, 2024 September 17, 2024
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Finance Weekly Newsletter

Join now for the latest news, tips, and analysis about personal finance, credit cards, dept management, and many more from our experts.
Join Now
LIVE: Fed Chair Jerome Powell delivers remarks at Harvard University

Watch full video on YouTube

Why Wall Street Is Investing In Trading Cards

Watch full video on YouTube

Fidelity International Small Cap Fund Q1 2026 Commentary (FISMX)

Fidelity’s mission is to strengthen the financial well-being of our customers and…

Powell is an expert at making mistakes, but “doesn’t allow” himself the luxury of regrets.

Watch full video on YouTube

How Footwear Companies Are Changing

Watch full video on YouTube

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

News

Fidelity International Small Cap Fund Q1 2026 Commentary (FISMX)

By News Room
News

Equinor ASA (EQNR) Shareholder/Analyst Call Prepared Remarks Transcript

By News Room
News

Credit Saison Co., Ltd. 2026 Q4 – Results – Earnings Call Presentation (OTCMKTS:CSASF) 2026-05-16

By News Room
News

ABN AMRO Stock: Cost Cuts And Capital Returns Support A Buy Rating (OTCMKTS:AAVMY)

By News Room
News

ConocoPhillips: More Upside Given Long-Term Cash Flow Tailwinds (NYSE:COP)

By News Room
News

MaxCyte, Inc. (MXCT) Q1 2026 Earnings Call Transcript

By News Room
News

Draganfly Inc. (DPRO) Q1 2026 Earnings Call Transcript

By News Room
News

Fidelity Blue Chip Growth Fund Q1 2026 Commentary (FBGRX)

By News Room
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Instagram
Company
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Press Release
  • Contact
  • Advertisement
More Info
  • Newsletter
  • Market Data
  • Credit Cards
  • Videos

Sign Up For Free

Subscribe to our newsletter and don't miss out on our programs, webinars and trainings.

I have read and agree to the terms & conditions
Join Community

2023 © Indepta.com. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?