By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
IndebtaIndebta
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Notification Show More
Aa
IndebtaIndebta
Aa
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Dept Management
  • Mortgage
  • Markets
  • Investing
  • Small Business
  • Videos
  • Home
  • News
  • Banking
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Mortgage
  • Investing
  • Markets
    • Stocks
    • Commodities
    • Crypto
    • Forex
  • Videos
  • More
    • Finance
    • Dept Management
    • Small Business
Follow US
Indebta > News > Mark Zuckerberg says White House pressured Meta over Covid-19 content
News

Mark Zuckerberg says White House pressured Meta over Covid-19 content

News Room
Last updated: 2024/08/26 at 10:03 PM
By News Room
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

Unlock the US Election Countdown newsletter for free

The stories that matter on money and politics in the race for the White House

Meta chief executive Mark Zuckerberg accused the Biden administration of pressuring the social media group to “censor” certain Covid-19 content during the pandemic and said he intended to be politically “neutral” this election cycle.

In a letter addressed to House judiciary committee chair Jim Jordan, Zuckerberg wrote that senior Biden officials had “repeatedly pressured” Meta’s team for months to censor some Covid-19 content, including humour and satire.

“I believe the government pressure was wrong and I regret that we were not more outspoken about it,” he wrote in the letter, which was posted on X by the committee on Monday. “I feel strongly that we should not compromise our content standards due to pressure from any administration in either direction — and we’re ready to push back if something like this happens again.” 

Zuckerberg also said he would no longer make a contribution to support electoral infrastructure via the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, his philanthropic group, as he had previously done. The donations totalled more than $400mn and were made to non-profit groups including the Chicago-based Center for Tech and Civic Life. They were intended to make sure local election jurisdictions would have appropriate voting resources during the pandemic, he said. But he added that they had been interpreted as “benefiting one party over the other”.

“My goal is to be neutral and not play a role one way or another — or to even appear to be playing a role. So I don’t plan on making a similar contribution this cycle,” Zuckerberg wrote.

The comments mark an unexpected public concession from Zuckerberg that the White House had attempted to sway its moderation policies and enforcement processes, and a slight against Democrats in the lead-up to November’s election. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Jordan, a top House Republican, has been leading a congressional investigation accusing the Biden administration, disinformation researchers and social media platforms of colluding in order to muzzle Americans, and conservative speech in particular.

It comes amid a broad global debate over the extent to which platforms should prioritise free speech or online safety, fuelled by posts by billionaire X owner Elon Musk, a self-declared free speech absolutist, and the weekend arrest of Telegram chief executive Pavel Durov in France over an investigation into alleged moderation failures on the messaging app.

Republican candidate and former US president Donald Trump has repeatedly railed against social media platforms for their perceived censorship of right-wing voices. In July, Trump warned on Truth Social, his social media platform, that if re-elected president he would “pursue Election Fraudsters at levels never seen before, and they will be sent to prison for long periods of time”.

He then appeared to single out Zuckerberg, adding: “We already know who you are. DON’T DO IT! ZUCKERBUCKS, be careful!”

Zuckerberg later said in a television interview that he thought Trump’s reaction to an assassination attempt on his life was “badass” but stopped short of endorsing him. Trump said Zuckerberg had called him to apologise over a moderation glitch that had occurred on the platform related to a photo of the attack, and claimed Zuckerberg told him he would not support a Democrat in the election out of respect.

In the letter posted on Monday, Zuckerberg also said Meta should not have “demoted” a New York Post story about a laptop belonging to President Joe Biden’s son Hunter ahead of the 2020 election, after the FBI warned of a potential Russian disinformation campaign against the Biden family. The story, Zuckerberg added, did not turn out to be Russian disinformation. 

Read the full article here

News Room August 26, 2024 August 26, 2024
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Finance Weekly Newsletter

Join now for the latest news, tips, and analysis about personal finance, credit cards, dept management, and many more from our experts.
Join Now
LIVE: Fed Chair Jerome Powell delivers remarks at Harvard University

Watch full video on YouTube

Why Wall Street Is Investing In Trading Cards

Watch full video on YouTube

Fidelity International Small Cap Fund Q1 2026 Commentary (FISMX)

Fidelity’s mission is to strengthen the financial well-being of our customers and…

Powell is an expert at making mistakes, but “doesn’t allow” himself the luxury of regrets.

Watch full video on YouTube

How Footwear Companies Are Changing

Watch full video on YouTube

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

News

Fidelity International Small Cap Fund Q1 2026 Commentary (FISMX)

By News Room
News

Equinor ASA (EQNR) Shareholder/Analyst Call Prepared Remarks Transcript

By News Room
News

Credit Saison Co., Ltd. 2026 Q4 – Results – Earnings Call Presentation (OTCMKTS:CSASF) 2026-05-16

By News Room
News

ABN AMRO Stock: Cost Cuts And Capital Returns Support A Buy Rating (OTCMKTS:AAVMY)

By News Room
News

ConocoPhillips: More Upside Given Long-Term Cash Flow Tailwinds (NYSE:COP)

By News Room
News

MaxCyte, Inc. (MXCT) Q1 2026 Earnings Call Transcript

By News Room
News

Draganfly Inc. (DPRO) Q1 2026 Earnings Call Transcript

By News Room
News

Fidelity Blue Chip Growth Fund Q1 2026 Commentary (FBGRX)

By News Room
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Instagram
Company
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Press Release
  • Contact
  • Advertisement
More Info
  • Newsletter
  • Market Data
  • Credit Cards
  • Videos

Sign Up For Free

Subscribe to our newsletter and don't miss out on our programs, webinars and trainings.

I have read and agree to the terms & conditions
Join Community

2023 © Indepta.com. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?